1. Establishing skin biopsy for diagnosis of small fiber neuropathy: My laboratory is one of the pioneer groups to develop skin biopsy, staining, and quantitative method for evaluating skin nerve terminals.
2. Setting up a battery of multi-modality tests for exploring mechanisms underlying chronic injury-induced neuropathic pain including pathology, physiology, and neuroimaging: My laboratory is one of the early research groups by integrating skin biopsy, contact heat evoked potential (CHEP), and pain-activated functional MRI (fMRI) to investigate central sensitization after peripheral nerve degeneration.
3. Investigating genotypes and pathology of familial amyloid polyneuropathy (FAP): My laboratory is one of the major research groups on FAP in Asia and we have identified new genotype of FAP (Ala97Ser) in Taiwan and applied skin biopsy to examine small fiber neuropathy, one of the early manifestations of FAP.
1. Free service of skin biopsy to neurologists in Taiwan: My laboratory is the only skin laboratory in Taiwan and I provide free service of skin biopsy to neurologists in Taiwan for diagnosing small fiber neuropathy.
2. Free service of genetic tests for hereditary neuropathies to neurologists: My laboratory is one of the major laboratories in Taiwan for performing genetic tests of hereditary neuropathies including Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease 1A (CAMT1A) and familial amyloid polyneuropathy (FAP). I have been providing these services for free to neurologists in Taiwan and sometimes to international neurologists in India and Turkey.
3. Education for neurology residents: I have been serving for the neurology resident education program and travel to different institutes in Taiwan for demonstration of neurological examinations and therapies.